Thursday, October 27, 2005

Collective unconsciousness-raising

A friend and I were wandering around a college-classroom-type building and stumbled into a meeting full of young people slouching/lying in a circle. We decided to lie down and participate, as this seemed to be some sort of support group or consciousness-raising type meeting.

The leader of the meeting asked all people who could answer "yes" to a particularly personal and revealing question to raise their hands, and I slowly raised mine, along with one other person. I knew immediately afterwards that it was a very bad idea to expose my secret to all these people, but I figured since I didn't know them it wouldn't be too bad in the long run.

The meeting soon concluded and I tried to slink out as fast as possible, but not before a guy from my residency program came over to say hi. I knew that he knew this thing about me, and even though he said he wouldn't tell anyone, I became extremely paranoid and starting wondering if there were other people that I knew at the meeting as well.

Here's the funny thing--I then realized that I was dreaming, which brought temporary relief, since I realized that only I would know what had happened when I woke up. But I couldn't figure out whether or not we were all dreaming together, or if it was just me, and I was terrified that everyone else in the dream would wake up, would all remember the same dream, and would still remember what I had said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home